To the Residents of District 4:
Much has been made over the course of this campaign about proposed development projects, specifically those located in Trumbull’s 4th District. While the decisions regarding zoning and development rest with our municipal land use agencies and not the Town Council, we felt it important to express our views, as Republican 4th District Council Candidates, as it relates to zoning and development in Trumbull.
· The Republican 4th District Candidates support economic development that will enhance Trumbull’s beauty and appeal. The focus will be on ensuring that proposed projects will not harm Trumbull’s “small town” feel while also increasing the commercial tax base to reduce the tax burden on residential property owners.
· The Republican 4th District Candidates do not support developments that do not comply with our town’s zoning regulations. All projects, including those proposed developments for lower Main Street and the former P.J.’s Garden Exchange property, should comply with our zoning regulations to ensure that the charm of Trumbull’s neighborhoods is not jeopardized.
· While the Republican 4th District Candidates support exploring ways to increase our commercial tax base, so as to reduce the residential tax burden, we do not support doing so at the expense of destroying Trumbull’s wonderful neighborhoods.
· The Republican 4th District Candidates support a revitalization of Trumbull Center, beginning with the empty space at the former Porricelli’s Food Mart. Trumbull residents deserve a center with amenities and options for all to enjoy. Unfortunately, since all of Trumbull Center is privately owned, we as Council members can only try and work with the landlord to convince them to offer competitive rent for possible tenants.
· Finally, all zoning and development projects in the Town of Trumbull should comply with a new Plan of Conservation and Development that will provide Trumbull with a roadmap for development that promotes business growth while protecting Trumbull’s look and feel.
We hope to have your support on November 5, 2013 and look forward to seeing you at the polls!
Republican 4th District Town Council Candidates
Ann Marie Evangelista