As springtime unfolds, area retailers are dressing their windows with everything from colorful throw pillows to pet supplies. Here are just a few ideas on how – and where – to get your (mostly) budget-friendly spring on.
Entryways are a great place to start. Throw down a fresh doormat such as the chartreuse, flowered coir mats at Vintage Garden (1189 Post Rd., Fairfield) or the “Go Green” cocoa mat adorned with the recycle logo at (23 Catoonah St, Ridgefield).
Kitchen or dining tables, a favorite family gathering spot, are the perfect canvas for the onset of spring.
- Kid-friendly melamine dishes, for instance, are available in multiple designs at (154 Post Rd. E., Westport).
- For affordably-priced, lollipop-colored flatware that is dishwasher-safe, visit (863 Post Rd., Darien), and be sure to check out the shop's fine-quality, fruity-striped Jacquard Francais tablecloth (coated for easy cleaning!).
- (14 Lewis St., Greenwich) also carries a variety of fine table linen items.
- (4 Sconset Square, Westport) is a hot spot for all things spring, including rattan tableware that easily transfers from kitchen to deck; colorful paper goods such as cocktail napkins and guest towels; and sequined throw pillows for a touch of spring shimmer.
- For serving pieces made of recycled glass in a choice of designs including a gold finch or magnolia, again stop by .
- (235 Sound Beach Ave, Old Greenwich) also carries beautiful accessories for the home.
Keeping your spring fling budget-friendly in the master bath, create a spring vibe with a colorful tray to catch your day’s jewelry or add a punch of color with a makeup bag available in deep orange at Signature Style (94 Old Ridgefield Road, Wilton). For a fresh alternative to the standard toothbrush holder or cotton ball container, try a small garden pot.
Of course, a towel or two in shades of sunflower or hot greens are a tried-and-true way to ring in spring. For countless options in this department, Bed, Bath & Beyond is the obvious destination, but for fine bed and bath accessories, (278 Greenwich Ave., Greenwich) is just one of many specialty boutiques.
If your pet's corner is looking as drab as my dog Max's this time of year, check out your neighborhood pet supply stores including (107 Cherry St., New Canaan) and (1324 Post Rd, Darien). For a splash of color, pick up a pastel food or water bowl and ask about spring-inspired bedding.
Perhaps the most universal symbol of spring is fresh flowers, and the region is home to innumerable florists, garden shops and nurseries. See a partial list of these retailers below. For elegant, silk flower arrangements custom-designed, however, visit (1 Big Shop Lane, Ridgefield).
- (450 Howe Ave., Shelton)
- (1055 Bridgeport Ave., Shelton)
- (6923 Main St., Trumbull)
- (740 Post Rd E., Westport)
- (6 Roger Square, Norwalk)
- (1351 Stillwater Rd., Stamford)
- (48 Arch St., Greenwich)
- (21 Grove St., New Canaan)
Got a favorite retail destination or a spring decorating tip you'd like to share? Let us know in the comments section below.