BLUMENTHAL: The ban on the UConn men’s basketball team from next year’s NCAA tourney due to academic violations has fans of the Huskies riled up. Sen. Richard Blumenthal, along with U.S. Rep. Jon Larson (CT-1) are criticizing the decision.
A joint statement issued by both and published by the Associated Press took the NCAA to task.
"We believe these issues demand Congressional attention because the questions regarding fairness for student-athletes have gone on too long - and the reforms that have been made are not yet sufficient. Over the coming days we will be working together and with our colleagues to shine a light on the way the NCAA enforces its rules and review all possible courses of action to compel reform with the goal of ensuring the welfare of student-athletes."
LIEBERMAN: The results are in and retailer Ties-Necktie.com rated Sen. Joseph Lieberman as one of the worst dressed members of Congress. According to a press release, “Lieberman is highlighted for wearing suits that are too broad for his shoulders and mens ties that are far too tight.”
DELAURO: AT&T union employees came out to downtown New Haven this past weekend to protest as their contract was being negotiated. U.S. Rep. Rosa DeLauro offered her support at the rally. According to People’s World, she "warned that Republicans would do away with unions and worker rights.”
HIMES: If you think credit card companies are out of control with their mailings, U.S. Rep. Jim Himes has some more proof for you. He tweeted a photo of an American Express credit card application that was addressed to his dog, Bella.
MURPHY: U.S. Rep. Chris Murphy (D-5) squared off against other Democratic challengers in a debate on Monday. He’s vying for the seat on the Senate being vacated by Lieberman. William Tong, Matthew Oakes, Lee Whitnum and Susan Bysiewicz are running against Murphy.
“Eye on the Beltway” is a feature on your local Patch that looks each day at the activities of elected officials in our nation’s capitol from your town and other parts of southwestern Connecticut.
Those officials are:
- Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT)
- Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-CT)
- Rep. Rosa DeLauro (CT-3), a Democrat representing Ansonia, Beacon Falls, Bethany, Branford, Derby, Durham, East Haven, Guilford, Hamden, Middlefield, Middletown, Milford, Naugatuck, New Haven, North Branford, North Haven, Orange, Prospect, Seymour, Shelton, Stratford, Wallingford, Waterbury, West Haven and Woodbridge.
- Rep. Jim Himes (CT-4), a Democrat representing Bridgeport, Darien, Easton, Fairfield, Greenwich, Monroe, New Canaan, Norwalk, Oxford, Redding, Ridgefield, Shelton (part), Stamford, Trumbull, Weston, Westport and Wilton.
- Rep. Chris Murphy (CT-5), a Democrat representing Avon, Bethel, Bethlehem, Bridgewater, Brookfield, Burlington, Canaan, Canton, Cheshire, Cornwall, Danbury, Farmington, Goshen, Harwinton, Kent, Litchfield, Meriden, Middlebury, Morris, New Britain, New Fairfield, New Milford, Newtown, Norfolk, North Canaan, Plainville, Plymouth, Roxbury, Salisbury, Sharon, Sherman, Simsbury, Southbury, Thomaston, Torrington (part), Warren, Washington, Waterbury (part), Watertown, Wolcott and Woodbury.